Many patients wonder:
The answer is NO.
The tooth whitening product, if not abused, will only cause slight dehydration of the temporary tooth. The tooth will rehydrate within 10 to 15 days.
The bleaching product is not harmful to healthy teeth.
A decayed tooth can have a very painful reaction if bleach is applied to it.
It is important to understand that tooth whitening products that are recognized and authorized by the Regional Health Agency have been extensively studied scientifically and are highly controlled.
These products, which are quite expensive, are distributed exclusively to health professionals authorized to use them, in other words dentists.
Thus, a whitening ordered on the internet or done at a non-healthcare professional will present two problems :
-the product, even if packaged in a certain way, has no control or reliability of a health care facility. It can be very dangerous to put in the mouth and to swallow a product that no organization specialized in health could verify.
–Some teeth may have lesions or cavities that COMPLETLY contraindicate tooth whitening, or that require specific medical techniques. The dentist’s opinion is therefore important before undertaking treatment of this type.
No, the reaction of a tooth to tooth whitening will depend on several criteria:
–The age of the patient: the older a patient is, the greater the density of the inner part of the tooth, inducing a shade that will be more difficult to modify.
–Tooth wear: A tooth with too much wear (due to acid erosion affecting the dental enamel, for example) will have very thin enamel that is not very reactive to bleaching.
–Diet : a special diet is recommended for the two weeks following tooth whitening.
–Surface condition: the surface condition of the teeth will have an effect on the recoloration potential of the teeth after bleaching.
In general, the result lasts 1 to 2 years.
This will depend on the technique used by the dentist, the patient’s oral hygiene and eating habits.